Click here to view original web page at Evening Brief: Is the proposed tanker ban sinking?
Coastal First Nations president Chief Marilyn Slett said senators must respect the will of voters, who elected a majority Liberal government that ran on a pledge to formalize a moratorium on oil tanker traffic on the northern B.C. coast. Pixabay photo Tonight’s Evening Brief is brought to you by […]
Tonight’s Evening Brief is brought to you by Rio Tinto. Our materials are essential to making modern life work. You’ll find them in smartphones, planes, cars, hospitals and throughout your home, thanks to the more than 15,000 people who work with us across the country. Learn more at riotinto.com/Canada
The Senate transport committee’s report recommending that the Liberal government’s bill on banning oil tanker traffic on the northern Pacific coast not proceed, calls it “unconstitutional and destructive to the fabric of Canadian federalism.”
The sharply-worded report submitted Monday evening to the full Senate by committee chair, Conservative Sen. David Tkachuk, criticizes Bill C-48 as “prejudicial to the economic and social interests of oil-producing provinces” and questions that it is based on sound science.
The government bill would ban oil tankers carrying more than 12,500 metric tonnes of crude oil from stopping at ports or marine installations located along British Columbia’s northern coast.
The full Senate will have its say Tuesday on whether to pass the committee’s recommendation. Jolson Lim reports.
Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer told an Edmonton audience today that a federal government led by him would strike an “Interprovincial Free Trade Agreement” that would remove existing trade barriers between provinces in Canada.
At an event in Edmonton this afternoon, Scheer laid out broadly his idea of Canadian confederation, which includes his proposed national energy corridor and plans to boost internal trade.
He said a Scheer government would, in its first 100 days, convene a First Ministers meeting with internal trade at the top of the agenda. Lim has this story as well.
Assembly of First Nations National Chief Perry Bellegarde is urging politicians to focus on implementing the recommendations of a landmark report on missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls instead of getting “hung up” on the finding of genocide.
The report, the result of a three-year inquiry in Canada, was presented to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in Ottawa on Monday. The commissioners found “persistent and deliberate human and Indigenous rights violations and abuses are the root cause behind Canada’s staggering rates of violence” against Indigenous women and girls.
And it called for “transformative legal and social changes to resolve the crisis that has devastated Indigenous communities across the country.” Marieke Walsh reports.
The Trudeau government is committing $1.4 billion a year to “advancing the health and rights” of women, teens and children around the world.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau made the announcement during the first full day of Women Deliver 2019, an international conference on gender equity held in Vancouver this week. The 10-year funding pledge represents an increase from the current $1.1 billion a year aid package that is set to expire in 2020,
Maryam Monsef, the minister for women and gender equality, called the 10-year commitment “unprecedented.” She said the $1.1-billion amount will increase gradually to $1.4 billion a year by 2023, the Vancouver Sun reports.
The House justice committee has voted to strike from the record remarks from Conservative MP Michael Cooper during last week’s contentious meeting.
Liberal MP Randy Boissonnault put forward the motion to strike the comments Tuesday, calling Cooper’s remarks “discriminatory, hurtful and disrespectful,” the CBC reports. Cooper was removed from his spot on the committee by Scheer after he told a Muslim witness, Faisal Khan Suri, that he should be “ashamed” after he drew a connection between the “conservative commentators” and the search history of Quebec City mosque shooter Alexandre Bissonnette.
Cooper also quoted from the manifesto of the man accused of the mass killings in Christchurch, New Zealand.
Public Services and Procurement Canada has selected a consortium to manage the $1.1-billion overhaul of five heating and cooling plants in the National Capital Region that has drawn the ire of the country’s largest federal public service union.
The department Tuesday announced that Innovate Energy has been awarded the 30-year contract to design, retrofit, maintain and operate the plants, beating a rival bid from a group that included SNC-Lavalin.
Environment Minister Catherine McKenna said the federal government was “leading by example” in its bid to reduce greenhouse gas emissions across the country by supporting a project to make heating and cooling infrastructure more environmentally friendly. Marco Vigliotti reports.
Health Canada’s anti-vaping campaign was found to be “scarier” to teenagers than an alternative plan that was seen as “empowering young people (and) not being judgmental,” a public opinion report from the department shows.
The government in 2018 paid Narrative Research (which at the time was called Corporate Research Associates) $130,000 to conduct a study to inform its anti-vaping strategy. Narrative Research conducted focus groups with teens who were younger than the legal age across six provinces to determine what sort of messaging to recommend to Health Canada for its initiative to educate young people about the effects of vaping. Charlie Pinkerton reports.
In Other Headlines
June 4 marks the 30th year since the Chinese government’s violent crackdown on pro-democracy protesters in Tiananmen Square.
The massacre of hundreds and possibly more than 1,000 protesters in Beijing shocked the world in 1989, although the event is taboo in China and its government has heavily censored information about it — including references to the iconic “Tank Man” protester.
About 180,000 people attended a rally in Hong Kong, according to the South China Morning Post. The city government’s controversial proposal to allow fugitives to be extradited to mainland China had provided the protests an extra spur.
In a statement today, Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland said Canada “asks Chinese authorities to break the silence on these events by openly accounting for the Chinese citizens who were killed, detained or went missing.”
Activists and journalists who witnessed the crackdown first-hand fear the event, and democratic hopes for China, are today being forgotten. Here is one witness’ account told to the New York Times.
Meanwhile, U.S. President Donald Trump said today in the U.K. that he plans to move forward with imposing tariffs on Mexican imports next week, according to the newspaper.
The plan was announced last week as part of an effort to stem the flow of migrants crossing the U.S.-Mexico border, and Trump today criticized Republican senators as “foolish” if they try to stop him.
Mexico, the U.S. and Canada are each in the process of ratifying the new North American trade agreement. Trudeau said in Vancouver today that Ottawa would move ahead in a responsible way to ratify the trade deal, Reuters reports.
Trump also promised a “phenomenal” trade deal with the U.K. after it leaves the European Union, but added that “everything is on the table” — including the country’s universal health care program, according to the BBC. Prime Minister Theresa May said the scope of trade talks had been agreed to by both countries.
Trump also took the time to meet Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage but declined a meeting with Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn.
Lastly, civil unrest in Sudan continues as a plan by the country’s military to hold elections within nine months has been rejected by an opposition alliance. It comes a day after more than 35 were reportedly killed during a protest in Khartoum, Al Jazeera reports.
In Featured Opinion
Ready for rail? Once again, not so fast.
The consortium tasked with building Ottawa’s $2.1-billion light-rail system says it won’t meet an anticipated June 30 handover date, according to city staff who told council members today.
Today’s news is the latest of a series of delays for the opening of the transit line, which will run under downtown Ottawa.
The opening of the line is already more than one year late.