Home / Overview Of Current News / Business / No day parole for teen killer – BC News – Castanet.net

No day parole for teen killer – BC News – Castanet.net

Backlog blocks care aides


Colin Dacre –


Aug 14, 2019 / 8:31 pm | Story:


263593

photo: pixabay

In the midst of an existing labour shortage, the B.C. Care Providers Association is calling on the provincial government to reduce a growing backlog of required criminal record checks for healthcare workers. 

Healthcare workers are being forced to wait up to six weeks to begin employment and are going elsewhere, the organization says.

The provincial government screens people seeking to work with vulnerable adults by checking for criminal convictions and outstanding charges and warrants. Currently, provincial staff are processing submissions received on June 28.

Senior care workers must wait for their criminal record check to clear before starting employment. 

“Delays in obtaining criminal record checks are making it difficult for seniors to receive the care they need as care providers are struggling to meet staffing requirements,” says Hendrik Van Ryk, COO/VP of human resources, H&H Total Care Services.

“We are losing qualified job candidates to other industries due to the backlog, which is yet another obstacle for a sector grappling with a severe health human resources crisis,” he says.

B.C. is the only province with a separate agency to manage criminal record checks, with the rest of Canada seeing them obtained through local police detachments in three days or less. 

“We hope that regulations can be amended to allow employers to meet their requirements through CRRP or their local police department,” says Van Ryk.

At the minimum, the B.C. Care Providers Association is asking the province to expedite criminal record checks for those in the healthcare sector.

Racist letter investigated


Stefan Labbé / Tri-City News –


Aug 14, 2019 / 7:14 pm | Story:


263591

photo: CTV News

An excerpt of a racist letter sent to a Coquitlam woman.

Coquitlam RCMP are investigating a threatening letter sent to a South Asian couple hours after it was posted in a link to a Vancouver Reddit group. 

The anonymous letter was allegedly sent to the Coquitlam residents from a Richmond/YVR postal code, according to the post made by the couple’s child. 

“DARKY IN OUR WHITE MAN’S LAND GET THE F*** OUT OF MY COUNTRY,” opened the letter.

It continues with a string of racial epithets before ending with, “TRUMP WILL SEND HIS GOONS TO DEVOUR YOU AND FEED TO PETS OF CANADA [sic.].”

Coquitlam RCMP did not answer multiple calls from Glacier Media throughout the day, and in a press release — emailed at around 4 p.m. — they offered few details regarding the investigation.

“We take these crimes very seriously and are actively pursuing avenues of investigation,” wrote Constable Jenifer Barker in the press release, adding Coquitlam RCMP has not received reports of any other incidents. 

Coquitlam RCMP is asking anyone with any information about the letter to call its non-emergency number at 604-945-1550.

Last month, Statistics Canada released data showing Metro Vancouver had the highest rate of hate crimes reported to police in 2018 of Canada’s three largest metropolitan areas.

A hate crime was reported to police at a rate of 7.1 times per 100,000 people in Metro Vancouver last year, moving the region from third place in 2017 to surpass the metro regions of Montreal (6.5) and Toronto (6.4).

No day parole for teen killer


Colin Dacre –


Aug 14, 2019 / 7:01 pm | Story:


263589

photo: CTV News

Kruse Wellwood, left, and Cameron Moffat are seen in these undated Facebook photos.

One of two young men who raped and murdered a teen on Vancouver Island in 2010 has been denied day parole, reports CTV News

Kruse Wellwood, now 25, was seeking day parole and escorted absences from the Mission prison where he is currently held. 

He was 16 years old when he and Cameron Moffat, 17 at the time, murdered 18-year-old Kimberly Proctor in March 2010. 

Proctor was lured to a home, raped, tortured and mutilated. She died of asphyxiation. The pair later lit her remains on fire at a local trail.

The two teens pleaded guilty and were sentenced to life in prison in 2011 with no chance of full parole for a decade.

The parole board found that Wellwood still poses a risk and has “ongoing psychopathic traits”.

The victim’s father, Fred Proctor, described the possibility of parole looming over them like a monkey on their backs. 

“You’re healing, you’re getting on with life, you still think about this every day, but this just drags so much more of it out,” he told CTV News.

“People like this should just be locked up permanently. Key thrown away.”

New details emerged during the parole hearing, which revealed the two killers met around age 11. Wellwood said Moffat introduced him to violent pornography.

Wellwood’s father, Robert Dezwaan, was convicted of the second-degree murder death of 16-year-old Cherish Oppenheim in 2001.

The two teens would share violent fantasies as young as 11 and 12, building up to the murder of Proctor years later.

“It came out of a throwaway fantasy,” Wellwood told the parole board, also referring to his rape fantasy as a “passing thought”.

“The novelty was what made it interesting,” he said.

with files from CTV Vancouver Island 

Disastrous year for salmon


Nelson Bennett, Business in Vancouver –


Aug 14, 2019 / 6:23 pm | Story:


263588

photo: Business in Vancouver

Fishermen of all stripes – commercial, First Nations and recreational – should brace themselves for what could be an epic bad year for sockeye.

The combination of closures on chinook, a major landslide on the Fraser River that is blocking the passage of returning chinook and sockeye and drastically lower than expected returns of sockeye are building up to what could be year of idle fishing boats.

This year’s sockeye return is a sub-dominant year, so it was expected to be lower than last year’s dominant year returns.

But in-season forecasts, based on test fisheries, are now suggesting that Fraser River sockeye returns will be so poor this year that a full closure can be expected. That includes First Nations food, social and ceremonial (FSC) fishing.

Lower Fraser River First Nations are already calling this year’s fishing season “a disaster,” thanks to closures to protect chinook stocks.

And they are angry that they are not allowed to fish for FSC purposes while the sport fishing sector has been given limited access to chinook.

They had expected FSC closures to be lifted by July 15, but in some areas, FSC openings have been postponed to August 23.

“This season has been a disaster,” Les Antone, councillor and fisheries manager at Kwantlen First Nation, said in a press release.

“The feeling of not being able to fish is bad, but it’s made worse knowing that other fisheries are happening in the Fraser and Salish Sea.”

The word “disaster” may not be an overstatement, according to in-season test fisheries, which suggest this year’s Fraser River sockeye return could be a repeat of 2016, when only 860,000 Fraser River sockeye returned – the lowest return on record.

The pre-season forecast was 1.8 million to 14 million Fraser River sockeye, with a median forecast of 4.8 million, and 5 million pink salmon.

The Pacific Salmon Commission (PSC) yesterday dropped the forecast to 1.6 million sockeye, and even that target may not be met. And that will mean no fishing for anyone.

“With that reduced run size of 1.6 million, there would be no marine and Fraser River sockeye directed fisheries this year,” said Catherine Michielsens, the PSC’s chief of fisheries management science. “And also for F

Read More

Source link : Castanet.net

Author :

Publish date : 2019-08-15T02:01:00Z

Copyright for syndicated content belongs to the linked Source

Check Also

See more of Fort Mcmurray #468 First Nation on Facebook

See more of Fort Mcmurray #468 First Nation on Facebook

Click here to view original web page at www.facebook.com Click here to view original web …

inquiry-into-missing-and-murdered-indigenous-women-issues-final-report-with-sweeping-calls-for-change

Inquiry into missing and murdered Indigenous women issues final report with sweeping calls for change

Politics·Live Inquiry into missing and murdered Indigenous women issues final report with sweeping calls for …

fond-du-lac-chief-says-airport-runway-should’ve-been-funding-priority-for-province

Fond du Lac Chief says airport runway should’ve been funding priority for province

Saskatchewan The chief of Fond du Lac Dene Nation wants the provincial government to reconsider …

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: