Regina police are authorized to arrest and remove those who are knowingly contravening the order by remaining in the park. (Damien Grapton/Radio-Canada) A Court of Queen’s Bench judge is ordering the Justice for Our Stolen Children Camp out of Wascana Park.
In a decision released Friday, court documents said police are authorized to arrest and remove people who are knowingly contravening the order by remaining in the Regina park.
"We are pleased with the decision made by the court," Minister of Central Services Ken Cheveldayoff said in an emailed statement.
Cheveldayoff said he expects the camp to be removed in "a reasonable time" but reiterated the Wascana Centre Authority and police’s power to remove the camp if it does not comply.
"Again, we are fully supportive of peaceful protests but the act of overnight camping, burning combustibles and erecting structures in the park cannot be done without the proper permits and approvals, as confirmed by today’s court order," Cheveldayoff said. Granted permission to stay the weekend
Protester and group spokesperson Robyn Pitawanakwat told reporters they plan to stay for the weekend, saying her understanding is they were granted permission to stay for that period. She would not comment on what will happen beyond that time.
"What’s hard for us right now is that the issues that we’ve brought forward in this camp are still not being heard. I think that is the most frustrating part of this decision."
"Right now we want the focus to be on the issues of Indigenous youth and Indigenous children and the lack of justice that they have here in the province of Saskatchewan."
She said "there’s an open line of communication" with the province through a lawyer. Regina Police chief Evan Bray previously will read over the court’s decision and "consult with stakeholders," according to a spokesperson. (CBC News) Police hope for ‘peaceful resolution’
A police spokesperson said Regina Police Service chief Evan Bray will read through the decision "and consult with stakeholders."
"As the Regina Police Service retains discretion as to the manner of enforcement of the Order, there is time to communicate with all parties with the goal of achieving a peaceful resolution," the statement read.
Bray has previously said there will be no action from police unless there is a threat to public safety.
The camp set up in February and has remained on the lawn of the Legislative Building in Regina since then. Police moved in and made several arrests in June, but no charges were laid.
Early in June, the camp was given an eviction notice, but the protesters did not comply. FSIN Chief Bobby Cameron called the court’s decision another instance of the justice system failing Indigenous people. (CBC News) Memorial for Colten Boushie event held at Justice for Our Stolen Children Camp
Regina police have no plans to dismantle protest camp without court order: chief
Justice Ysanne Wilkinson wrote in her decision that the protesters effectively usurped the area where they set up camp and have excluded "the public at large" from exercising their own Charter rights in the park.She said this conclusion is supported by several groups who had acquired the proper documentation and authorization to use the west lawn but were prevented from doing so by the camp’s presence."The protesters deny any intent to assert exclusive dominion over the West Lawn. The reality, however, is that the exclusive occupation, continuous and uninterrupted, has occurred for the past six months, save for the brief interlude when the camp was dismantled," Wilkinson said. Perry Bellegarde said "peaceful activism on this human rights crisis must be respected." (CBC) FSIN says another case of system failing First […]
(Visited 6 times, 3 visits today)