New Democratic MLA and leadership candidate Wab Kinew spoke to CBC Sept. 15 a day after his ex-partner spoke publicly for the first time about domestic assault allegations dating back 14 years ago. (CBC) Wab Kinew continues to deny the account of a former partner who says she was thrown across a room by the NDP MLA 14 years ago, but acknowledges her words will be a challenge for him as the Opposition New Democrats meet this weekend to decide whether he should lead the party. Tara Hart told the Canadian Press on Thursday that she lived with Kinew...Read More
Day: September 15, 2017
Sep 15, 2017 | News |
So Much Depends Upon Who Holds the Shovel is a 2008 work by Christi Belcourt. It will be featured in one of two exhibits opening OCAD University’s new Onsite gallery. (Image Courtesy of Collection of Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada) Rhiannon Johnson Rhiannon Johnson is an Anishnaabe journalist from Hiawatha First Nation in South-Central Ontario. She wants to contribute to turning the page on how Indigenous peoples are covered within Canadian media. Rhiannon is currently completing her master’s degree in journalism at Ryerson University. Canada’s largest and oldest art and design school is opening a brand new gallery this...Read More
Nunavut Sen. Dennis Patterson says he knows ‘full-well the negative and legacy impacts that residential schools have had on Inuit.’ (Vincent Robinet/CBC) Nunavut’s Conservative senator, Dennis Patterson, is responding to Sen. Lynn Beyak’s latest controversial comments about Indigenous people. Beyak wrote in an open letter published earlier this month that First Nations should give up their Indigenous rights and integrate into Canadian society, by trading in their status cards for Canadian citizenship . That’s despite the fact Indigenous people born in this country are already Canadian citizens. “Senator Beyak’s comments don’t reflect the views of the Conservative caucus in...Read More
Sep 15, 2017 | News |
Navdeep Bains, Minister for Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada with Monica Ell-Kanayuk, Nunavut’s Economic Development and Transportation at the Iqaluit airport. (Sara Frizzell/CBC) The Canadian Northern Development Agency — or CanNor — announced $7.4 million in funding for geoscience research across all three territories in Iqaluit on Friday. Navdeep Bains, the minister responsible for CanNor, made the announcement at the Iqaluit airport, using the geotechnical surveys that informed the airport’s construction as an example of how geoscience research can be used. The research funded will provide direction for major infrastructure projects, mining exploration and climate change adaptation. “We...Read More
Kim MacNearney wants the government of the Northwest Territories to create lounges for adults to consume marijuana, like bars. She made the suggestion at Thursday’s meeting. (Gabriela Panza-Beltrandi/CBC) More than 50 people attended a public consultation about cannabis legalization in Yellowknife on Thursday night. Some of the questions from the the public included “Can I smoke marijuana on my balcony?” and “Will dry communities be creating their own cannabis regulations?” while the Yellowknife Chamber of Commerce raised concerns about potential legislation hurting local businesses. “We need to make sure that the government is our regulator, but not our retailer....Read More
- Minister Bennett To Provide Remarks at the Arctic Circle Assembly October 13, 2017Please be advised that the Honourable Carolyn Bennett, Minister of Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs, will provide remarks at an Arctic Circle Assembly 2017 plenary session.
- Minister Philpott Attends Grand Opening of the Manitoba First Nations School System October 11, 2017Today, the Honourable Jane Philpott, Minister of Indigenous Services, along with representatives of the Manitoba First Nation Education Resource Centre, celebrated the grand opening of the new Manitoba First Nations School System.
Most Popular -7 days
- Transparency bill will weaken treaty rights, say First… October 17, 2017 (19)
- Province to fund health study examining air pollution… October 16, 2017 (18)
- Recovering from very nasty PC virus – 6 hours later… October 19, 2017 (14)
- Ontario enviro watchdog, First Nation demand health study… October 16, 2017 (14)
- Mental Health Around the World: A Snapshot October 16, 2017 (13)