Share this!

Posted in General News | No Comments » UNsettling Canada 150

In honour of Arthur Manuel, we call for a National Day of Action in support of self-determination over land, territories, and resources

July 1, 2017

On January 11, 2017, our mentor, colleague, friend and brother, Arthur Manuel passed onto the spirit world at the age of 65.

Arthur Manuel was organizing to defend his Secwepemc peoples’ and all Indigenous Peoples’ Rights up to the day he was admitted to the hospital. In the last article, he wrote before his passing he referred to the Canada 150 celebrations by stating: “I do not wish to celebrate Canada stealing our land. That is what Canadians will be celebrating on July 1, the theft of 99.8% of our land, leaving us on reserves that make up only 0.2% of the territories given us by the .”

As part of his campaign against the 150th celebration in Canada, Arthur was also planning to go to Geneva to appear before the UN Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (CERD) in August 2017 when Canada is scheduled to report on its treatment of Indigenous Peoples. He was preparing a counter-report to inform the world that the Trudeau government is maintaining the colonial Act and it’s immoral, illegal land claims policies that deny collective title, treaty rights and our right of self-determination. We will send our own delegation, in Arthur’s words, to “escalate the assertion of our rights from a purely domestic strategy to an international strategy across nations.” ( http://redrisingmagazine.ca/whatare-you-going-to-doabout-it/ .)

JULY 1 – NATIONAL DAY OF ACTION

In the spirit of Arthur Manuel, we want to make July 1 a National Day of Action. This day of action is to celebrate our Indigenous and human rights to self-determination, our lands, […]

(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)

Share this!